Wheatgrass. Day 0: Seed Soaking and Tray Prep.

23rd April 2017. About a decade ago, I was growing and juicing wheatgrass for family members. Recently I wanted to start doing that again but had not been able to buy wheatgrass seeds. I did have the decade-old leftover seeds from back then. I had tried germinating them but as expected, nada.

All the shops that used to carry these seeds a decade ago seems not to be carrying them today. Hmm, is wheatgrass no longer the in-thing? :). Finally found some online, ordered them on 18th April…. but still no sign of them. Hmmm…

Then finally found it at Medifoods Subang Jaya when I was there for their buffet breakfast! Finally I got my seeds.

The Gatorade bottle is my decade-old seeds and the plastic bag contains the newly purchased wheatgrass seeds from Medifoods.

Soaking the seeds to start the germination process… . Gonna leave it to soak overnight.

In the meantime prepared my plant trays. My decade-old plant trays had long since been disposed off… . Time to make use of the 1l milk cartons that I had been keeping! 🙂 I just cut one of the larger surfaces off and punch holes in the other larger surface to act as the drainage holes.

I suspect I may have mold issues, due to the carton being made of paper and it may not be re-usable that many times. Nonetheless I think I should try it at least once or three times before looking for other materials which I do not have at hand at this moment in time.

IMG_20170423_130409.jpg

Finally, I get to use the compost from the first batch of compost from EcoKnights and Shell’s “Garbage to Garden Composting Project” Compost Bin! 🙂

I didn’t want to use 100% compost, so I added in maybe 3 parts potting soil to 7 parts compost. I also added a little garden lime to reduce the acidity of the planting media to try to slow down mold.

IMG_20170423_130327.jpg

Anyways, the plant tray is ready for the germinated seeds. All it needs is a little soaking before the germinated seeds goes onto it.

O   O

49th Day : Harvest Day

9th April 2017. OK. Harvest day…

I just pulled the compost bin upwards, shaking the bin a little to dislodge any stubborn compost that was clinging to the compost bin.

Doesn’t look much does it?

Above Left Photo: Was pleased to see the earthworm in the compost. Shows that the compost is more or less ready. There were many earthworms, didn’t take many photos as I had to use my hands to handle the compost.
Above Right Photo: Stack of not yet composted brown leaves – these will be thrown back into the compost bin along with any incompletely composted material that I manage to separate out.

Yup, many roots found their way into this compost pile.

Moved the pile into a shallow green pail.

Not an insignificant amount of incompletely composted material, usually the harder woodier stems. No problems, just means gotta separate them out. I know many people use a screen to separate the finished compost from the larger not fully composted pieces but I have never gotten round to making it. I just use the old fashion hand pick method. 🙂

From the shallow green pail, I removed whatever not fully composted material I could and transferred the composted stuff to a 18 liter blue pail. I estimate that I have maybe 15 liters (plus/minus 😉 ) of finished compost from this batch.

Plus the not yet fully composted material separated out from the finished stuff… . Gonna just start another batch of compost on this not yet composted material.

49 days from start to finish. Not too bad, but could have been faster. One factoid about compost produced from these smallish bins. The internal temperature will not get anywhere near the temperature required to deactivate seeds that find their way into the compost bin. This means that some, many of these seeds will sprout and grow after you have added this compost to your plants. Please be prepared for this. I just weed more often and have more material for the compost bins! 🙂

O   O

48th Day

8th April 2017. Still busy… . But here’s a look at the compost bin:

Pre-turning:

Dang! That’s a live root I see. Certain that it came from the banana mat located next to the compost bin. Time or no time, I better make time to harvest this compost pile! But not today tho… 🙂

Post turning:

 

O   O

39th Day

30th March 2017. I reckon this batch is more or less ready. Yes there are still pieces of thingies which are not yet completely composted, but if we were to wait for everything to be composted, it would really take a long, long time. Thingies not yet completely composted can be separated out from the finished stuff and put back into another compost bin.

Anyways, no time today to harvest this batch. Will have to wait for another day.

 

O   O