Banana Pups

10th March 2017. Finally found the time to take down the banana stem that had fruited and the fruits have been harvested. After taking down the old stem, I decided to remove all except the largest pup. Since the largest pup is now a good 7 feet or so in height, maybe I shouldn’t call it a pup anymore 🙂 . Another 2 pups were around 3-4 feet. Earlier, while the bananas were ripening on the plant, I did not want to remove the pups. Since the fruits have been harvested (and eaten… 🙂 ), it was time to do some housekeeping on the banana area.

It was a bit of a pain to actually remove the largish pups but eventually it was done and the banana area is now much neater looking compared to earlier. However, banana plants being banana plants, I am sure that more pups are on their way up!

Nevermind, I will enjoy the neatness while it lasts.

 

IMG_20170310_165618.jpg

Above: The corm area of the removed pup. That’s my size 44 black crocs on the left for size.

 

IMG_20170310_165622.jpg

Above: The removed pup.

 

Above: One pup removed. Since the old stem did not need the root / corm anymore, I removed a large chunk of the old corm together with the pup. Unfortunately it wasn’t an easy task. The white in the above right photo is the leftover underground part from the removed stem with parts removed. Above left photo shows one more pup still waiting to be removed…  .

Below shows the banana area after old stem removal and area cleaning including ground leveling. That’s the Shell/EcoKnights compost bin behind the banana stem, half hidden by a leaf.

 

IMG_20170311_074126.jpg

 

Below photos show the 2 removed and potted pups pending adoption. For comparison the green DAISO stake shown next to the potted pups is 1.8m in height.

 

While I did cut up some of the waste material for my older compost bins, I did not have the space to deal with the mass from the stem removal. Also, I have found that banana leaves do not compost fast, at least not in my compost bins and with the way I do composting. I much prefer grass clippings. My usual way of composting waste banana leaves was to cut them into smallish pieces and treat them the same as grass clippings. However time after time, I would find many many pieces of what can be clearly recognised as cut banana leaves in my otherwise completed or nearly completed compost. Maybe cutting the banana leaves then bruising or crushing them would work, but it is still a lot of work. As such I have given up composting large quantities of banana leaves.

 

Here are some photos of the bananas:

Squirrels got to them first… 😦 . The squirrels only go for the yellowing bananas… . They also love my darker sweeter mulberries. 😦

IMG_20170305_101956.jpg

Here’s the harvested bananas:

IMG_20170306_073907.jpg

Like I said, squirrels got to them first. They got the first 4 ripening fruits. Nevermind, hopefully in the not too distant future the existing banana stem will fruit. Looking forward to that day. And yes, the moment I see any yellow, I will harvest and not be lazy and let the squirrels get to it first… 🙂

o   o

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s