My Other Compost Bin: A Big Plastic Pot

This is yet another of my compost bins. It’s just a rather big plastic pot. Guess it’s about 100 liters, maybe more. I keep it semi-covered with a largish piece of glass. It used to be a pot where we planted papaya trees.

I really should look for something else as the cover. Prior to this current cover, I had been using a really large shallow plastic washing tub as a cover. The plastic wash tub cover eventually disintegrated under the sun and since I had this piece of glass which wasn’t doing anything, I decided to use it as a temporary cover while I look for something else. That was maybe 3 or 4 years ago 🙂 .

Under the glass is a piece of cardboard to cover the composting material. Of course the cardboard gets wet and will eventually start to disintegrate. At this point the cardboard gets torn up and tossed into the bin as a carbon source and I find another piece of cardboard. Looks real yucky, doesn’t it. I have long since stopped thinking of the flora and fauna present on the cardboard or in the composting material.

The cardboard piece is there for moisture retention. Without the cardboard, in hot sunny weather, I have experienced excessive moisture loss in the top part of the composting material. Even with the cardboard in there, I find that I do have to add water to damp the composting material every so often.

Here’s a look at the composting material inside this bin:

This batch was started on the same day as as the batch in the EcoKnights / Shell bin. While I have not added any material to the EcoKnights / Shell bin after starting it, this pot bin gets any compostable kitchen waste as well as compostable garden waste tossed and mixed in.

For this pot bin, if I do not add more material, I normally aerate or turn the composting material only after I feel that the temperature has come down a little. After the first turning, I continue turning it often, at least weekly. Most times it’s more often than that! 😉

When I started using this pot as a composting bin, I did drill some air holes about an inch or so below the top. Originally I wanted to drill the air holes all over the pot but after drilling the first row of air holes near the top, I decided not to in case I ever needed to use it as a pot again. Since unassisted air exchange in this pot compost bin is somewhat limited by the lack of suitably placed air holes, I need to assist the air exchange by regular turnings.

o   o

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s